Hospice at Home and Wellbeing Services
HospiceCare is taking a proactive approach to what is happening nationally. The delay phase of the pandemic has been announced and although social distancing measures have not formally been introduced by the government, we want to take sensible measures to protect our clinical workforce. Given that our hospice work is largely within patients’ homes, our key focus needs to be on safeguarding our clinical staff members to enable the team to maintain their health, to allow them to safely continue delivering care. So with immediate effect:
· All Wellbeing services held within our Alnwick and Berwick buildings are cancelled from today. This includes our Weekly Drop-Ins, The Willows, Bereavement and Dementia Cafes, Dementia Football and Information Hubs. We will see people on an individual basis and the most appropriate staff member from the clinical team will maintain regular contact with them. This is in line with actions taken by other providers of Wellbeing services.
· Our café area at Greensfield House, Alnwick, is now closed.
· Our Wellbeing Centre, Hazel Marsden House, Berwick, will only be used to see patients individually.
· In the meantime, we are aiming to have more regular telephone conversations rather than face-to-face sessions for our Wellbeing services. Our existing referral process and criteria remain unchanged for the present time. Please can we ask people to contact us via telephone should they wish to self-refer.
· Hospice at Home will continue unchanged with the emphasis on continuing to take Universal precautions relating to Infection Control.
Nina Burnett HospiceCare Clinical Lead
16th March 2020
Our Wellbeing services are held at our Wellbeing Centres in Alnwick & Berwick and are open to anyone living in North Northumberland.
All our wellbeing services are drop-ins, so appointments are not necessary simply turn up. However, if you are feeling a little apprehensive about joining us for the first time, please don't hesitate to contact our nursing team directly for an informal chat on T. 01665 606515 or T. 01289 309997.
You are also invited to email our nursing team directly on:
For patients, families and carers.
Many people think they need to feel well to come to the drop-in, but often people will feel better once they have been. This may be because spending time with others offers a distraction from thoughts and feelings. Our drop-ins are run mainly by volunteers, however, appointments can be made with one of our nursing team if someone needs one-to-one support. No appointment necessary, just drop-in!
ALNWICK Wellbeing Centre every Wednesday 10am - 12noon
BERWICK Wellbeing Centre every Monday 10am-12noon
Weekly Dementia Walking Football
For those with Dementia and their carers
Would you like to play Walking Football with Newcastle United Foundation coaches? Well you can! Football sessions are held each week with an opportunity to share coffee, cake, and memories after each session. If you would like to join us, speak to our nursing team, or turn up at a session.
ALNWICK Walking Football, Willowburn Leisure Centre, Alnwick, every Wednesday 1pm-2pm
BERWICK Walking Football, Swan Leisure Centre, every Friday 10am-11am
Monthly Dementia Cafe
For Families and Carers
Sharing experiences and advice with other carers can be incredibly rewarding. Joining a group might seem daunting, but they are sociable and friendly places filled with people who truly get where you're coming from and have the opportunity to chat with one of our nursing team
ALNWICK Wellbeing Centre 4th Tuesday of every month 10.30am - 12.30pm
BERWICK Wellbeing Centre, 2nd Tuesday of every month 10.30am-12.30pm
Monthly Information and Advice Hub
Open to All
Offers free practical, financial, emotional and social support to people their families and carers, who are living with a life-limiting illness such as Cancer, Heart Disease, Motor Neurone Disease, Parkinson's Disease and Advanced Dementia.
ALNWICK Wellbeing Centre 3rd Thursday of every month, 1pm-4pm
BERWICK Wellbeing Centre 1st Thursday of every month 10am-1pm
Monthly Bereavement Cafe
No Previous Contact Necessary
The cafe is a relaxed space for people to come together with others, who understand what they are going through because of shared experience of loss. Open to anyone who has had a bereavement, with no pressure to talk unless you feel like it. No previous contact with the Hospice is necessary.
ALNWICK Wellbeing Centre 2nd Thursday of every month 1pm-3pm
BERWICK Wellbeing Centre 3rd Thursday of every month 10am-12noon.
Weekly Carers Cafe
A weekly support group for carers is an opportunity to meet other carers in a similar situation to yourself and talk about your experiences and get support as well as picking up helpful, practical tips.
ALNWICK Wellbeing Centre every Wednesday 1.30pm-3.30pm
BERWICK Wellbeing Centre every Monday 1.30pm - 3.30pm
For Patients and Carers
Complementary therapies such as Aromatherapy massage, are available to patients, their families, and carers.